FLU SEASON 2017 - 2108
Seasonal FLU Vaccinations 2017-2018
The seasonal flu vaccinations for 2017 - 2018 has started. All those people who are eligible have now been written to. All patients aged 65 and over will receive a letter from the Scottish Government and all of those people who are under 65 and who are advised to have the flu vaccination should receive a letter from the practice.....so now is a good time to check that we have your correct address details.
Seasonal flu vaccinations are now available. Please ask the GP or Nurse to vaccinate you at your next appointment.
Invitation letters have been sent to all relevant patients so if you got a letter from the practice or from the Scottish Government about the flu vaccination but haven't yet had your vaccination, please contact the surgery to arrange a suitable appointment. Don't forget that you can get the flu vaccination during a routine appointment - please just ask the doctor or nurse.
The following groups of patients are due to receive the seasonal flu vaccination:
• All patients aged 65 years and over (those born on or before 31 March 1952)
Patients aged 64 and under who suffer from any of the following medical conditions:
• Chronic respiratory disease (e.g. asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis)
• Chronic heart disease
• Chronic kidney disease
• Chronic liver disease
• Chronic neurological disease (e.g. stroke, TIA, cerebral palsy, MS)
• Immunosuppression (e.g. patients undergoing chemotherapy, HIV)
• Asplenia or dysfunction of the spleen
• Pregnant women (at any stage of pregnancy)
• People in long-stay residential care or homes
• Unpaid carers and young carers
• Adults with a BMI equal to or greater than 40 kg/m²
All children aged 2-5 years not yet at primary school, including those from the above groups will also be due to receive the vaccine. Most children will be given a new painless form of the vaccine given by nasal spray. However, some children who are receiving treatments or have an underlying medical condition may be offered the injectable vaccine.
All children in primary schools (primary 1-7) will be offered vaccination at school. Please contact your primary school for further details.
If you are not in one of the above ‘flu groups’ and would like to have the vaccine, you should enquire at your local community pharmacy.